The Work of Borderlands Starts with Produce Rescue
Frequently Asked Questions
- Borderlands works without any government monies or commodities.
- Borderlands principally rescues fresh produce.
- Borderlands is an International organization.
- Borderlands can follow the donated produce from donor to end recipient.
We're glad you asked, this is the most surprising thing for us, the fact that anyone would throw away such fresh, often even organic, produce. Everything we distribute is completely healthy, and edible, it is only headed to the landfill because the distributors couldn't sell it.
According to distributors and growers, the reason why so much of their produce is either left in the field to rot, or just taken to a landfill is because consumers won't buy it. According to them, the standards set out for what consumers will buy is much higher than just ensuring the produce is edible. Much of the rejected produce we handle simply suffers from cosmetic damages such as rain stains, or discoloration, and so, if not for Borderlands, that produce would be left to rot.
This is one of the reasons why we like to think of ourselves as a different kind of food bank, we distribute nothing but the fresh produce we are able to rescue. We recognize there are a great number of food banks out there working to meet the needs of families through non-perishable goods. However, given our close proximity to a large port of entry and the large amount of produce in our area, we are solely focused on providing families with fresh produce.
- Veggies R Us: Direct Client/Agency distribution out of Borderlands warehouse facility.
- Produce on Wheels With-Out Waste (P.O.W.W.O.W.) An Arizona re-distribution program.
- Produce Travels: 24 other U.S. States receive produce from Borderlands.
- Animals Love Veggies: When Veggies perish we feed animals nutritiously.
Not at all, in order to receive any of our produce you can attend any of our distribution sites. Borderlands Produce Calendar