We are going to stick to this theme of finding a way to turn all of our produce into a version of fries! Nothing wrong with that, right? Earlier we shared this great recipe for acorn squash fries, and now we have this amazing recipe for baked green bean fries.
It seems pretty easy to pull off, if you try this, please let us know how it went in the comments here.
Crispy Baked String Bean Fries
Green beans baked in crispy Parmesan bread crumbs. They have an addictive crunch that even veggie haters will find hard to resist.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large, non-stick baking sheet with olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the green beans with the oil massaging it on with your hands. Sprinkle with cornstarch starting with 1 teaspoon and toss well. Add more cornstarch if needed.
- Beat the eggs with a tablespoon of water in a wide, shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl toss the Parmesan with both types of bread crumbs and a few good dashes of salt and pepper. Now remove half of them and set aside, adding them back to the bowl as needed so they don’t get gummy from the egg drips.
- Working with a handful at a time dunk them into the egg (with one hand) then into the bread crumbs patting it on with your other, non-eggy hand. Place on the baking sheet close together but not touching. Repeat until all the string beans are coated.
- Bake 12 minutes then turn them over (if you find that they are sticking or the coating is coming off skip this step) and bake 6 – 8 minutes longer or until golden brown all over and tender on the inside.
- Meanwhile whisk the mayonnaise, zest, lemon juice and thyme together. Serve hot with lemon sauce for dipping. Just like french fries, they are not as good reheated so might as well eat them all!